Today, I worked a shift on the base at the Wood shop. So I brought along my dovetailed box, AKA the boring till, with the intentions of cutting the groove, glue the carcass and cut the back panel.... a mere 20 minutes operation :-)
That was the plan Saturday AM. But Friday my car developed problems with my driver door, wont opened from inside, door handle feel mushy... Well that was fun contorting myself to the passenger seat with Rudy's help (NOT) Once outside figured out I could open the door from the outside...
Drove from the building supply store to my nearest garage I trust, OK Tire in Kingston, and they shown me how to open the door from the inside, appointment to fix it is Wednesday. Huh, Ford has a recall on door latch but mine was not affected, maybe I should look at it closer.
Saturday morning, decided to take my car to go to the club, while Jean used her truck to move some gardening supplies.
Arriving on base, I saw that they had the whole parking area in front of the club cordoned off to run a motorcycle safety course. This course is required prior to getting your motorcycle license in Nova Scotia. The base motorcycle club run a course a few times each Spring.
So as I went to sign off the key at the MP shack, I thought to myself, there wont be much customers today, they would think it is closed.
Had to park a bit out of my way which took me two trips to lug in my unfinished carcass and then the tool kit I brought
I was going to cut my rabbets on the back piece for the backer board using my plow plane (Plan A), but since it looked like there wont be anybody, I will go faster using the dado on the tablesaw, and going back home earlier. That was Plan B.
Unplug the TS, swap the blade for the dado set, made it purposely wider than I need, would be using a sacrificial fence on it. As I was putting the nut back on the TS arbor, I dropped the nut into the Table Saw cabinet... into mounds of saw dust, it disappeared... %$#@*&? No magnet in sight (would have to fix that)
No front door like on my older Unisaw, had to reach in from the motor side, and carefully spread the sawdust to find the Bleep Bleep nut.
Took me a few minutes but I got it. Finished cleaning up the inside of the Unisaw, then fired up the dust collector to make sure it was not plugged, work good, almost lost my watch :-)
Could not find a suitable piece of sacrificial lumber to make my dado fence, so decided to nix Plan B. Back to plan A. Got the iron a quick sharpen, set up my marking gauge to the iron width, then started to mark my pieces on the back side of course. After I did 3, I remember I did not made sure I was marking the right side. Oh, I thought, good thing I caught myself early on!
Quickly put the dovetails pieces in the right order A-A, B-B etc, without making sure my pins and tails were lined up correctly. Did not, they were reversed, made sure I marked with my pencil which side it was supposed to go on (reversed)
and felicitate myself realizing I was previously marking them on the wrong side (correct side)
Could barely register the fence on my antique plow plane close enough to my board to hit my score line from the marking gauge, so tried a few passes off fence, with dubious results. Yes I can cut to the line but.... Nix Plan A again and moving on to plan C, using simply the regular blade to nibble my rabbet, 3 or 4 passes should do it.
Relied on the Unisaw Unifence measurements, trusting it to be true (it always is), but surprise, it is off, off enough to throw you off. Ah for Off sake ! :-)
Resawed my board a smidgen smaller in width to correct and double checks all measurements with a funky tape measure (And you wonder why I don't like to measure...)
After all my rabbets were cut, I clean them up with my Veritas large shoulder plane. The pieces are now ready for assembly.
Cleaning off my rabbets ...on the wrong %$#@ side
Bring them to the glue table, start doing a dry run assembly to check my rabbets.... ?%$#()@ I cut my rabbets on the outsides of my boards...
Left that alone for half an hour or so, then ripped the boards another 1/4 in or so and recut the rabbets on the correct side. Trust me I made sure a few times...
Box assembled, glued and cooking.
Yes the rabbets are correctly on the bottom inside :-)
I could then proceed to glue up, about an hour or so later took it off the clamps, measured the back rabbet to cut my piece of 1/4 ply. It fitted right off the saw... Finally something gone right... Time to close the shop, I had three customers today, but they all finished what they wanted done and left.
One of them was a cutting board. This is the jig we use to make quick work of lining up the pieces. Wax paper prevent glue to stick on the jig
The piece is now back home in my basement. Later I will clean up the joinery and the faces, prime then paint it, the same colors as the rest of my tool tills.
Meanwhile Jean made some real progress in the yard using her portable Green house
The green house has been moved already once.
Supposedly to its final destination...Right! :-)
She has that one for the last three years, that would be its 4th season.
Its holding up pretty well.
We will later be buying the medium Veg Trug at LV to set up a raised vegetable garden. Add the frame and green house cover and extant the season.
Then I will bring in a small table top light stand to grow spices in the kitchen,
Bob, tired, my back is killing me but Heh, made progress :-)