Monday, August 1, 2016

Woodworking books on E Readers

As much as I still prefer the tactile experience of a book in my hands, lately I have been looking at Kindle Ebooks to install on my IPad.

As with most E Readers, KOBO, Kindle and etc, you can download an Apps to read them on various devices, I have both installed on my IPad Air

The beauty of it is that you can quickly access loads of data off line, on your tablet or phone while cruising for tools. And you can be very discreet about referring to it while buying tools by pretending that you are playing Pokemon Go :-)

There are always loads of E books of every kinds going on sale all the time and even some free books for a limited period. It then pay to look around once in a while.

Today, as I was browsing with my morning coffee, I came across a few interesting books for very little.
Highly recommend them for the little outlay of cash required.
Note that the prices shown are in Canadian dollar, so would be slightly less on US,  guessing here that my $1.21 purchases would have been US $0.99

 The first ones I stumbled upon are small booklets that Hans Brunner published. If the name sound familiar to some of you it is because Hans is an Australian Antique tool vendor.  

I like his writing style and the detailed pictures. Got quite a lot of good info for very little money, and it is portable to booth, gotta love it :-)

Researching some of my recent Mathieson tools, I found this book


Then found this guide to Infill planes, covering: Spiers, Norris, Mathieson, Preston


This Stanley guide was a pleasant surprise, and gives you a refreshing idea of realistic prices. Most people are still using Walter's book published in 1996...
He also has an illustrated guide to the various Types of Bailey planes, in a compact form. Well worth the full asking price.
His books also have a good article about cleaning tools, good info from a knowledgeable person who has been selling tools for more than 25 years


Came across three vintage Stanley catalog reproductions. I own a few originals and reprints, so I only went for these twos: 1870 and 1914 copies


A small treatise from a museum curator on the evolution of woodworking tools styles from the 1600s to 1900s. Interesting reading. Currently reading it... 


So there you have it 6 new references to help me in my research for very little outlay of money, and you get instant gratification, no waiting for the post man,,,

Bob, scratching Rudy ears, typing on the screen and reading his Ebooks while balancing my cup of coffee...hum accident waiting to happen, better finish my cold coffee :-)

2 comments:

  1. I will stick with a book Bob. But my daughter does have a Kindle and she is coming to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much to read ... so little time. Right now I'm juggling volumes I and II of "The Woodworker - Hayward", Mortise and Tenon Magazine, and "Modern Practical Joinery" by George Ellis (1902 roughly) on google books. I can't ever seem to finish anything!

    ReplyDelete